We’ve arrived at Day 5! Today’s sewing isn’t glamorous, and truthfully can feel downright tedious, but putting in the time and effort today will pay off in the next several steps.
There are lots of different methods for gathering; we have lots of tips and info in our 101 blog post. We’ve found the most professional and even looking gathers come from using the method detailed in the Aria tutorial. In the video today, I put basting stitches at 1/8″ and 5/8″ along the top raw edge of each tier. After sewing the basting stitches, you can pull the bobbin threads to gather your tier to the width of the bodice and/or tier above it.
If you’re just doing one of the simple skirt options, you will simply stitch up the side seams, then construct the one single skirt as your only tier.
- seam allowances vary! Be sure to follow the tutorial.
- seam allowance is already included on the paper pattern pieces
- stitch with right sides of fabric together
- use a basting stitch (longest straight stitch) to create your gathering stitches
- pull the bobbin threads gently to gather
Ready to sew along with us??
If you have questions about constructing your tiers, you are always welcome to post in our SAL group so we can help you! Be sure to check in each day during the SAL, and look for daily posts to enter our giveaways. We can’t wait to see what you create this week.
DAY 5: CONSTRUCTING TIERS
DAY 6: ATTACHING SKIRT(S)
DAY 7: HEMMING