Our newest patterns are here and I am PUMPED to sew a Morgan with you this week! With this release, Megan has also curated fabric in bases and prints that are perfect for the Morgan and Youth Morgan patterns. I’lll be sewing up the Rust Floral Double Brushed Polyester (DBP) this week. I’m *hoping* I have enough leftover to make a Morgan crop for myself after making my daughter’s dress, but we’ll see what I can squeeze out 🙂
Check out the line drawings below for more info on pattern options, other recommended fabrics, as well as sizing information. You can also visit the pattern listing for more in-depth information, or if you’ve already purchased the pattern, it will be available in the tutorial as well.
Morgan features a sweetheart style crop, top, dress, midi, AND maxi option! Morgan is a fitted, knit, peasant-style pattern packed FULL of options. The front bodice features a lined soft sweetheart neckline. You can choose between a ruched front with a tie detail or a plain front if you prefer a simpler look. Both front and back bodices include a band. For dress, midi, and maxi lengths, Morgan offers a simple gathered skirt. Looking to mix it up? You can also use the tiered skirt option! Morgan also includes short flutter sleeves, long flutter sleeves, elastic hem short sleeves, 3/4 length, and long sleeve options!
There is a ton of helpful beginner information between the M4M and P4P blogs, in case you are new to knits, or new to PDF patterns in general:
- New to PDF patterns? Check out our helpful tips here
- Not quite sure how to measure yourself accurately? Don’t worry; check out the post here!
- Wondering if a pattern is “true to size”? Read more about sizing and intended fit here, and information on using finished measurements here.
- Having issues printing? Most issues can be resolved by using our FAQs/troubleshooting tips
- Look here for more extensive grading help!
- Not in our official SAL group yet? Join here 🙂
Our first day is all about prep! First, be sure to measure yourself (or the person/people that you are sewing for) accurately. The tutorial includes information about grading and mashing, but you can also check out the blogs and video linked above.
After you’ve measured, you’ll want to decide which version/options you’d like to sew up. This will determine which pattern pieces and fabric pieces you’ll need to cut out. Want to sew up a Morgan hack? We have the original hacks post here!
Then, you’ll want to choose your fabric and gather your supplies.
- Medium weight knits with at least 40% horizontal stretch and some vertical stretch; double brushed poly, rib knits with strong recovery, cotton spandex, high quality modal or bamboo lycra, etc.
- 3/8″ knit elastic
- 1/4″ clear elastic *for all options!!*
- Optional: 1/2″ knit interfacing or knit hem tape for hemming
Next, go ahead and print your pattern. Be sure to print a test page and measure your 1″ square before you print the whole pattern. Once you’ve got your pattern pieces printed and assembled, go ahead and cut out your fabric so you are all ready for day 2. Remember that even if your pattern is only off by 1/16″, that’s 1/16″ PER INCH, not total. Definitely reprint if you notice your test square is off!
- Make sure you are taking an accurate and consistent seam allowance; seam allowance is already included on all pattern pieces.
- Be sure that your pieces are cut on the fold or as mirror images, however it’s indicated on the paper pattern piece.
- When you’re grading, be sure to add/subtract length to front AND back pieces as applicable
- For reference, I’m sewing a youth size 6/7 mash, with the following options: short elastic sleeve, ruched bodice, simple skirt
Want to sew along with me? Check out today’s video!
If you have questions about measuring yourself, printing, putting your pattern together, or cutting your fabric, you are always welcome to post in our SAL group so we can help you! Be sure to check in each day during the SAL, and look for daily posts to enter our giveaways. We can’t wait to see what you create this week!
DAY 1: CUTTING + PREP
DAY 2: BODICE
DAY 3: SLEEVES
DAY 4: BAND
DAY 5: SKIRT
DAY 6: HEM